PHI CD 130: The Organ at Castle Howard played by Francis Jackson
Handel: Overture to The Occasional Oratorio arr. W.T .Best. Guilmant: Communion No.1.
Wolstenholme: Allegretto Op. 17, No. 2. Macdowell: A.D. MDCXX.
Jongen: Chant de Mai Op. 53, No.1 & Menuet - Scherzo Op. 53, No. 2. Smart: Andante in E minor No.3.
Vaughan Williams: Three Preludes Founded on Welsh Hymn Tunes.
Jackson: Hymn tune Prelude on East Acklam. Bach: Fugue in G. (Fugue a la Gigue). Mendelssohn: Sonata No. 5.
The construction of Castle Howard was begun
by the third Earl of Carlisle in 1699, to a design by Sir John
Vanburgh and Nicholas Harksmoor. From that day to this, Castle
Howard has remained in the care of the Howard family.
The three manual tracker action organ in the chapel of Castle Howard was built by Thomas Harrsion of Durham in 1875 at a cost of £836 10s 0d. The organ was originally powered by an hydraulic engine which was replaced with an electric blower in 1953 when the organ was overhauled. In 1991 the organ was fully restored by Principal Pipe Organs of York to the original specification.